Vegan burgers come in many varieties. Some of the store-bought, frozen ones are really yucky. I don't know if it is just because they try too hard to make it look like meat, but it certainly isn't very appetizing to stare down a grey patty of unidentifiable ingredients. I have recently tried a store-bought, frozen, chicken-like thing that tastes pretty good, but I am aware that it is not the healthiest choice. It's kind of like choosing fries, when you should have had the baked potato :). I also recently had falafel in a pita when we went for "burgers" at John and Lynn's house. The taste was good, but there's something about putting a patty between a bun.....
Of course a grilled portobello mushroom is delicious, and the black bean burger recipe in the Whitewater Cookbook is really good (but it falls apart when I leave out the egg - I need to play with that recipe a bit...)
I did find this Black Bean - Quinoa Burger recipe in the summer edition of Vegetarian Times magazine. I made them yesterday, and although my technique needs a little refining, I was really happy with the resulting patty which fit very nicely in a bun - thank you very much!
Black Bean - Quinoa Burgers
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked with 1 1/4 cups water (boil for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed)
1 cup finely chopped onion
6 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped finely
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 can, rinsed and drained (divided)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Montreal Steak Spice
1 1/2 cups water
While quinoa is cooking, saute onion and tomatoes until the onion is tender. The oil left on the tomatoes should be enough to cook the onion. Beware... the smell is really awesome... Stir in 3/4 cup beans, garlic, steak spice and water. Simmer until most of the liquid is gone. Now, this is where I may have needed to add some time. I think that I didn't simmer for long enough, so make sure to cook it down well.
Transfer the bean/onion mixture to a food processor, add 3/4 cup quinoa and process until smooth.
Transfer to a bowl, stir in the remaining 3/4 cup quinoa and 3/4 cup black beans. Allow to cool.
(takes a long time.)
Once cool.... Heat oven to 350. Generously grease a flat baking sheet. Drop large spoonsful of the mixture onto the sheet and flatten into patties. Bake 20 minutes or so, until the patties are crisp on top. Flip over and cook another 10 minutes or so, until both sides are crisp. These patties can be frozen, then reheated on the BBQ or in the oven before eating.
I thought these patties would be simple because of the lack of ingredients, but they are definitely a do-ahead kind of thing. They are delicious, and really worth the time. I now have 8 ready-made burgers in the freezer!!!
I'm looking forward to trying a brown rice and mushroom patty, but I hesitate to put carb on carb when I put it in a bun. Am I thinking about this too much? I think not. I like to be included in the summer BBQ tradition.
yum yum
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great Sunday recipe - start it in the morning, finish it later on and have food ready for the week! And that's just what I'm gonna do - thanks! :)
gave this a try and the flavour is wonderful but definitely should've used an egg - instead of Montreal Steak Spice (to keep it gluten free) used fresh ground sea salt & black pepper and some smoked paprika - was super easy to make and will def to it again
ReplyDelete