Sunday, 8 January 2012

Good Sunday Morning

To some, there is nothing like the smell of bacon and eggs sizzling on a Sunday morning.... To me, it's the comforting aroma of home-baked muffins, or that tempting smell of cinnamon wafting through the air, that makes me feel like it's a special day.
Vegan baking takes some practice. Unless you are using a tried and true recipe, and have all the substitute ingredients, it can be challenging.  When I made the decision to stop using animal products, I didn't anticipate giving up many of my favourite comfort foods.  The holiday season is particularly interesting. Parents at the Children's Centre love to show their appreciation to the educators with home-baked goods, and chocolates. I sure appreciate the sentiment, but I am always happy to relinquish my portions to the other staff members. The funny thing is that those things that used to be so irresistible, are not even desirable to me anymore..... unless, of course, I know that they are vegan. Isn't the power of the mind fascinating?  Now, if I could just get it to turn off that desire for salty and crispy, or sweet and soft temptations....
These yummy little pinwheels are a quick and easy treat to throw together on one of those mornings when you desire that home-baked comfort.  I veganized an old favourite biscuit recipe and added some sweetness and a cinnamon twist :) Enjoy.

Cinnamon Buns
Heat oven to 450 and grease a round cake pan.

Mix together:
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp sugar

Cut in, until crumbly:
1/4 cup vegan margarine

Add:
3/4 cup soy milk

Mix together until it starts to hold together. Knead mixture about 20 times until smooth. Roll out on lightly floured surface until it is about 18 inches x 8 inches or so.
Spread the surface of the dough with:
1 Tbsp vegan margarine

Cover the margarine with about:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (if desired)

Roll up the dough along the long edge. Cut into approximately 12 rolls, and place, into the greased, round cake pan. They will be squished in there, but that will make the sides soft. If you like the sides crispy, then you can spread the individual rolls out on a greased cookie sheet instead.
Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until they start to brown.
Dump them out onto a plate as soon as they are done, so they don't get stuck in the pan.
Delicious when warm.

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to have to try these!!

    ReplyDelete