Saturday, 13 September 2014

Basil Bonanza!

How did I not know how wonderful basil is until recently?

This easy-to-grow, fragrant, delicious herb adds such freshness to food! It is my new cilantro.  Not to say that I am giving up cilantro, just happy to have another delicious alternative.  Fresh basil adds the same kind of fresh-food flair to Italian food, that cilantro adds to Mexican or Indian food.

Roasted Tomato/Basil Pasta Toss

In a baking dish, toss together:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
1/2 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp sea salt

roast at 350 for 45 minutes or so, until veggies are well-cooked.
Toss in 10-15 large basil leaves roughly chopped.
Toss with pasta to serve. Add fresh ground pepper.


Pesto

Another delicious pasta toss, sandwich spread, pizza topping....

mix together in food processor:
1 1/2 cups fresh basil (I have used frozen, and it worked great, too)
1 cup pine nuts (apparently walnuts are good, too)
5 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 c. nutritional yeast

drizzle in:
1/3 cup olive oil





No comments:

Post a Comment