Sunday, 25 March 2012

Peanut Stew by Natalie

I just returned from an inspiring work weekend with some wonderful women! It is so nice to get together with like-minded people and be motivated to continue valuable work.
Natalie arrived with food for all 4 of us on Friday night. She made this wonderful Peanut Stew. So delicious. It reminded me of butter chicken, from the days when I used to eat butter chicken.... :) Even though I just ate it 2 nights ago, I'm going to re-create it for the family tonight. It would be delicious served with naan bread. 


Here are the instructions in Natalie's words.  Message from Natalie:  It is a pleasure to share the recipe!!!

PEANUT STEW

1 large onion (sliced)
three large slices of ginger
1 zucchini (chopped)
1 very large yam (peeled and chopped)
1 tbsp coriander (crushed in a pestle)
1 tsp cumin (crushed in the pestle)
1 tbsp curry powder (rounded or flat, up to you)
1 quart canned tomatoes
1 tsp salt approximately
Put all of these ingredients into a cooking pot, add a little more water to almost cover the veggies. Cook till yams are tender. Shut off the heat.
Add 1/2 to 1 cup of peanut butter. Stir until it dissolves and thickens the stew. Peanuts (often called ground nuts) were ground up to use as a thickener in many dishes in African countries.
Add spinach and stir until it looks wilted.
Serve over millet, quinoa, or brown rice.

I like to fry my onions and spices in a little bit of olive oil as my first step and then I add the rest of the stuff to cook but obviously, this time I did not do the frying.

1 comment:

  1. The Peanut Stew is obviously a versatile dish. I didn't have zucchini, but used cauliflower, mushrooms, and green pepper. I used fresh cilantro instead of the coriander. Mmmm. Delicious. Fred enjoyed crunching the big chunks of ginger.

    ReplyDelete